Archive for September, 2014

A consignment of donated diabetes drugs held at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport has gone bad awaiting clearance arising from a tax tussle. The insulin worth Sh3 million meant for the treatment of about 250 diabetic children at Kenyatta National Hospital has been lying at JKIA since February this year after Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) confiscated them over tax. KRA allowed the destruction of the drug.
Read more at: http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000136268/kra-destroys-sh3m-drugs-donated-to-knh-for-diabetic-children-over-tax-tussle

County chief of staff Douglas Mbilo is led away after a bullet grazed his head. PHOTO (Nation Media Group)

County chief of staff Douglas Mbilo is led away after a bullet grazed his head. PHOTO (Nation Media Group)

Last week, there was so much drama in Makueni  where Five people were shot and seriously injured in a gunfight at the Makueni County Assembly. The county Assembly leaders had gathered at the grounds of the assembly, apparently for prayers, before proceeding to a public rally at which the governor Kivutha Kibwana was to be criticized allegedly for condoning graft.

The drama was blamed on leadership wrangles at the county level. What happened was sheer barbarism and hooliganism which should not happen in any other county in the country.

Things seem to getting out of hand and and The Council of Governors has stepped in. It now says  it will recommend the dissolution of Makueni County govt if arbitration fails to unite the county’s leadership.

Bomet Governor Isaac Ruto, the chairman of the council, says that governors would meet on Monday to deliberate on the matter. If agreed on this will mean Makueni people will have to go to the polls and elect an new set of leaders.

Under Article 192 of the Constitution the President is allowed to suspend a county government in an emergency arising out of internal conflict or war. The suspension shall not extend beyond a period of ninety days and on the expiry of the period, elections for the relevant county government shall be held.

Governors want to use this to petition the President to suspend the Makueni County government.

Well, is this the right move? do you support the dissolution of Makueni or any other county government simply because the leaders don’t agree?

Makueni’s governot Kivutha Kibwana already thinks the county government should be dissolved as nothing seems to be working.

#KanaliSpeaks 

moseskuria300514

Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria wants bank accounts of counties supporting the push for a referendum frozen.

According to a story published in the Standard, the MP has threatened to present a Motion in Parliament seeking to freeze the bank accounts of counties whose governors are fronting the Pesa Mashinani referendum campaign.

He argues that, that some governors are using public resources to campaign for the referendum. According to him, the move to freeze these accounts would ensure public resources are not misused by the governors to popularise the referendum at the expense of development.

Well, their might be so many questions arising on the source of funding for the referendum exercise, but freezing bank accounts??

So, do you agree with Moses Kuria? Do you think county bosses supporting the referendum using public resources to campaign for the referendum?

#KanaliSpeaks

uhuru

Last week, The International Criminal Court  ordered President Uhuru Kenyatta to physically appear before it on October 8. Since then, there has been so much debate across the political divide over whether he should honour the summons or not.

While some quarters argue that he should attend the summons, some are of the opinion he should not. Their basic argument is that that requiring personal attendance is meant to embarrass the President;that Kenya is a sovereign State and should not have its president stand before an international court.

Well, all said and done, the question still remains, should the president attend the summons or not?

President Kenyatta is the first sitting Head of State to be required to appear before the ICC. If he chooses not to go, what will be the consequences? and what if he attends them?

But again, President Kenyatta can ask judges to excuse him from travelling to The Hague, the International Criminal Court said on Monday.

According to  a statement from the Court’s Public Affairs Unit “If the accused wishes to attend via video-link, he could make a request to the Chamber, which the Chamber would then rule on,” might sound as a reprieve to the president.

Let us face something here, ever since the the ICC issued the statement about summoning the president, Jubilee coalition politicians, some activists and been running up and down making statements against the President’s appearance. Jubilee MPs even went ahead to hold a meeting to deliberate on whether President Kenyatta should travel to The Hague or not.

President Kenyatta himself is on record saying he is ready to cooperate with the court despite holding high office.

Macharia Gaitho posted an interesting opinion in the Daily Nation on Monday. Here is the excert :

If they started defying the court at this late stage when both the cases against them seem in danger of collapse, it would only be to their own detriment.

Any arrest warrants issued will not be against Mr Duale, Prof Kindiki, President Kenyatta’s MP Moses Kuria, official State blogger Dennis Itumbi or Ugandan activist David Matsanga.

Nor will any warrants be issued against the collective African Union leadership that has banded together in solidarity with a colleague facing the kind of charges they all live in dread of.

President Kenyatta must do the wise thing and ignore all those noisemakers who pretend they are fighting in his corner, but who would actually be driving him down the path of self-destruction.

If those cases were doomed from the start, they must be allowed to wind up to the logical conclusions.

Well, as he concluded, Perhaps the status conference on the Kenyatta case might  present just such an opportunity if it leads to the conclusion that the case is dead before it starts.

#KanaliSpeaks 

A crowd awaits food distribution at Pibor town, South Sudan. (Photo source: IRIN/Hannah McNeish)

A crowd awaits food distribution at Pibor town, South Sudan. (Photo source: IRIN/Hannah McNeish)

Yesterday the South Sudan government made one of the most unexpected announcement. The War-torn country banned the employment of all foreign workers, including aid workers and ordered they be replaced by locals.

“All non-governmental organisations, private companies, banks, insurance companies, telecommunication companies, petroleum companies, hotels and lodges working in South Sudan are directed to notify all the aliens working with them in all the positions to cease working as from 15th October,” said a government statement, that was also published in several newspapers.

According to the order,  organisations and companies should advertise all the positions so that they can be filled by “competent South Sudanese nationals”.

This order comes despite warnings that the country, which has been gripped by civil war for the past nine months, is on the brink of famine. Question is, is this the right move by the South Sudan Government?

The country is heavily dependent on foreign aid groups for humanitarian assistance for millions of  people who have been internally displaced by the conflict in the country.  It is estimated that by 2015, South  could easily tip into famine. The aid effort being done by most aid organisations is huge and needs to be boosted especially now that the situation is dire.

The country suffers from a major shortage of skilled workers, with only around a quarter of the population being able to read and write.Workers from regional neighboring countries like Ethiopia, Eritrea, Kenya, Sudan and Uganda, provide key services, in the country.

For a new country just emerging from nearly a half century of violent conflict, this order is just so disturbing.  According to a report by United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), People in South Sudan face urgent humanitarian and development needs. It is estimated that more than 800,000 people had been displaced from their homes by late February 2014. Thousands have been killed or wounded in the fighting. Hundreds of thousands have lost livelihoods and access to basic services. Around 3.7 million South Sudanese are facing acute food insecurity.

Several development partners, have been trying to restore basic  livelihoods and assistance through helping rebuild the countries infrastructure. But now they are being ordered out.

According to South Sudan’s Information Minister Michael Makuei  who spoke to AFP the the order only covers “jobs South Sudanese can do”.

Well, is this the right move by the country?

#KanaliSpeaks

South_Sudan

Juba (AFP) – War-torn South Sudan has banned the employment of all foreign workers, including those with non-governmental organisations, and ordered they be replaced by locals, an official notice said on Tuesday.

“All non-governmental organisations, private companies in general, banks, insurance companies, telecommunication companies, petroleum companies, hotels and lodges working in South Sudan are directed to notify all the aliens working with them in all the positions to cease working as from 15th October,” said a government statement, published in several newspapers.

Source: Yahoo

#KanaliSpeaks 

Its probably one of the saddest documentary you have ever watched. Westgate Mall Attack Documentary, So emotional… One year after the attack, our prayers continue to be with the families of the people who lost their lives in this deadly attack.

This Documentary by British filmmaker Dan Reed captured the moments, some of the footage we even never saw. It is indeed a harrowing hourlong  documentary worth watching